The Botanischer Garten München-Nymphenburg (22 hectares) is a botanical garden and arboretum.
Munich's first botanical garden, now called the "old botanical garden", was established in 1809 by Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell near Karlsplatz, where its remains are still visible.
Today's garden was created in 1914 in the Munich outskirts at Nymphenburg by the garden architects Holfeld. In 1966 it became affiliated with the Botanische Staatssammlung München and the Institute of Systematic Botany at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
Today the garden cultivates about 14,000 species on approximately 18 hectares, and serves to educate the public and train students of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University, as well as preserve rare plants and European bee species. Major areas include an alpine garden, arboretum, collection of moor and steppe plants, rhododendrons, rose garden, and systematic garden.
The garden also contains an extensive greenhouse complex (4,500 m² total area in 11 greenhouses), including rooms for bromeliads and Arecaceae, cactus and succulents, cycads, ferns, orchids, and Mexican plants. The orchid collection includes over 2700 species from 270 genera, as well as hybrids, with special collections of Catasetinae, Cattleya (unifoliates), Cymbidium, Dendrobium, Dracula, Paphiopedilum, Phragmipedium, Pleione, Stanhopeinae, Vanda, and Zygopetalinae.
The garden also maintains an external station, the Alpengarten auf dem Schachen (1,860 m altitude).
Menzinger Straße 65