Palace and park Herrenchiemsee
 Back
Distance from hotel: 55.7 km

Palace and park Herrenchiemsee

Herrenchiemsee Abbey (Old Palace)
Herrenchiemsee Benedictine Abbey was established about 765 at the northern peak of the Herreninsel by Duke Tassilo III of Bavaria. In 969 Emperor Otto I granted to the Archbishops of Salzburg, who about 1130 re-established Herrenchiemsee as a monastery of Canons Regular living under the Augustinian rule. With approval of Pope Innocent III, Prince-Bishop Eberhard von Regensberg in 1215 made the monastery church the cathedral of a diocese in its own right, the Bishopric of Chiemsee including several parishes on the mainland and in Tyrol.

In the course of the German Mediatisation in 1803 Herrenchiemsee Abbey was secularised and the Chiemsee bishopric finally dissolved in 1808. The island then was sold, various owners demolished the cathedral and turned the abbey into a brewery. Plans for the complete deforestation of the island were blocked by King Ludwig II, who acquired Herrenchiemsee in 1873. He had the leftover buildings converted for his private use, the complex that later became known as the "Old Palace", where he stayed surveying the construction of the New Herrenchiemsee Palace.

From 10 to 23 August 1948, the representatives of eleven German states of the Western Zones and West Berlin met at the Old Palace as the Verfassungskonvent (Constitutional Convention) to prepare the work for drafting the Basic Law (Grundgesetz) with a view to the founding of the Federal Republic of Germany.
 
Herrenchiemsee Palace (New Palace)
The unfinished New Palace was designed by Christian Jank, Franz Seitz, and Georg von Dollmann and built between 1878 and 1885. Ludwig only had the opportunity to stay within the Palace for a few days in September 1885. After his death in the following year, all construction work discontinued and the building was opened for the public. In 1923 Crown Prince Rupprecht gave the palace to the State of Bavaria.
 
Herrenchiemsee New Palace
Herrenchiemsee
83209 Herrenchiemsee

Contact:
Tel. (08051) 68 87-0
Fax (08051) 68 87-99 
Email:sgvherrenchiemsee@bsv.bayern.de
 
Tipps:
Weitere Denkmäler und Königsschlösser vom König Ludwig 2.
Castle Neuschwanstein
Castle Linderhof
 
Book room online
Arrival
Sep, 2016
09
Departure
Sep, 2016
09
Persons
01
Advantages of
Direct Booking

Top News

Direct booking benefits on this website
5 per cent direct booking advantage, conference online bookable and more

...more learn more

Football events

FC Bayern München - SV Darmstadt 98
06/05/2017
FC Bayern München - SV Darmstadt 98

...more learn more
FC Bayern München - Sport-Club Freiburg
20/05/2017
FC Bayern München  - Sport-Club Freiburg

...more learn more
FC Bayern München - RB Leipzig
31/08/2017
FC Bayern München - RB Leipzig

...more learn more

Concerts

Symphoniacs
01/05/2017
Vargas Blues Band
03/05/2017
Iriepathie
04/05/2017