The House of Art (Haus der Kunst) is located at the Prinzregentenstraße at the south end of the Englishen Garten
in Munich. Paul Ludwig Troost planed the building and his wife and Leonhard Gall constructed it.
The museum was openend on the 18. July 1937 and exhibited the first "Große Deutsche Kunstaustellung".
Until 1939 there was the "Tag der Deutschen Kunst" every year, where Adolf Htler spoke. The annual sale exhibition "Große Deutsche Kunstausstellung" occured until 1944. The first direktor was Karl Kolb.
Although the museum should only be for natinal socialist art, the concept was much more commercial: so that there was an extensive gastronomy, which partly still extist ( "Goldenen Bar", a central restaurant and the current "P1"
The complete exhibition conduced to be a sale exhibition and Hitler was the main buyer.
During the american occupation the museum was used as a officers'mess. 1946 the first exhibition "International Youth book exhibition" was shown after the war.
SInce 1949 the Hause of Art presents the annual "Große Kustausstellung München"